Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Jalisco Taqueria

Austin is littered with small hole in the wall Mexican restaurants that are typically labeled Jalisco style.   These taquerias are nearly always a zero on the atmosphere scale but with indifferent staff, amazing bargains and tasty food I cannot recommend them enough.

My plan when hunting for tacos is usually to stop at the first one I see.  When in the right areas of town it never take long.   I'm usually amazed at their consistent menus, prices and food quality.   For today I stumbled onto Taquerias Las Chivas on North Lamar near Rundberg and 183.

On the day I arrived it was fairly empty so getting a table was quick. As usual there was a jukebox playing Tejano, Jalisco (a Mexican state) inspired decor and the building was in need of some TLC.    I was also pleased to see the credit card stickers on the door.

As the waitress arrived she started in Spanish but unfortunately mine is rusty.  A friendly "excuse me?" encouraged her to switch to English.  I flipped to the taco section of the menu and found they had 4 taquitas (little tacos) and beans for $6... excellent.   My favorite meat is al pastor (think pineapple marinated, spiced pork) so I usually start there.  In a future post I will cover pastor in more detail.    For the other 2 tacos I selected barbacoa.  This also warrants more discussion as what falls under the description of barbacoa can very wildely from place to place.  The 4 taquitos combined combined with the beans, chips and authentic salsas is a cheap, filling meal for the quality and price.

Needless to say lunch was amazing and I would plan to return if it wasn't for so many other establishments I need to visit.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment